Reference Sites

1- Research institutions
2- Places of Interest to Visit
3- The Dionysia


1- Research institutions

Cuba has maintained and expanded its set of institutions that variously research and publish issues related to slavery and the African diaspora. The main ones are the following:

Archivo Nacional de CubaCompostela no 906, La Habana Vieja, Ciudad de La Habana. Teléfono: (53 7)  862 9641, 862 0387; correo electrónico:
Biblioteca Nacional José MartíAve. Independencia y 20 de Mayo, Plaza de la Revolución, Ciudad de La Habana. Teléfono: (53 7) 881 6224; correo electrónico:
Casa de África, Oficina del Historiador de la CiudadObrapía no. 157 entre Mercaderes y San Ignacio, La Habana Vieja, Ciudad de La Habana. Teléfono: (53 7) 863 9850 correo electrónico:
Casa del CaribeCalle 13 no. 154 esquina a calle 8, reparto Vista legre, Santiago de Cuba. Teléfonos: (53 022) 64 2285, (53 022) 64 2387, correo electrónico: 
Centro Cultural Africano «Fernando Ortiz»Ave. Manduley no, 106 esquina a calle 5ta. Santiago de Cuba. Teléfonos: (53 022) 64 2487, (53 022) 62 5054, correo electrónico:  y  
Centro de Estudios del Caribe,  Casa de Las AméricasCalle 3ra esquina a calle G, Vedado, Ciudad de La Habana. Teléfonos: (53 7) 55 27 06 al 09, correo electrónico: Internet:
Centro de Estudios de África y Medio Oriente (CEAMO)  Ave. 3ra no. 1851 entre 18 y 20, Miramar, Ciudad de La Habana. Teléfono: (53 7) 202 5410 correo electrónico:
Centro de Investigación y Desarrollo de la Música Cubana (CIDMUC)Calle G no. 505, entre 21 y 23, Vedado, Ciudad de La Habana. Teléfonos: (53 7) 8339697 (53 7) 830 8015, correo electrónico:
Conjunto Folklórico Nacional de CubaCalle 4 no. 103, entre Calzada y 5ta, Vedado, Ciudad de La Habana. Teléfono: (53 7) 830 3060,  (53 7) 830 3939, Fax: (53 7) 830 4395, correo electrónico:
Departamento de Estudios Sociorreligiosos del Centro de Psicología y Sociología (CIPS)Calle B, no. esquina a 15, Vedado, Ciudad de La Habana. Teléfonos: (53 7) 831 3610, (53 7) 830 1451, correo electrónico:
Facultad de Artes y Letras, Universidad de La HabanaZapata y G, Vedado, Ciudad de La Habana Teléfonos: (53 7) 878 8014 / 870 2740 Correo electrónico:
Fundación Fernando OrtizCalle 27 no. 160 esquina a calle L, Vedado, Ciudad de La Habana. Teléfono: (53 7) 830 0623, telefax: (53 7) 832 4334  correo electrónico: Internet:
Instituto Cubano de Antropología (ICAN)Amargura no. 203 entre Habana y Aguiar, Ciudad de La Habana. Teléfonos: (53 7) 860 7824,  (53 7) 860 7836, correo electrónico: e
Instituto Cubano de Investigación Cultural Juan MarinelloAve. Independencia no. 63, entre Bruzón y Lugareño, Plaza de la Revolución, Ciudad de La Habana. Teléfonos: (53 7) 877 5770, (53 7) 877 5771, correo electrónico:
Instituto de Literatura y LingüísticaAve. Salvador Allende, no. 710, Centro Habana, Ciudad de La Habana. Teléfonos: (53 7) 878 5377, (53 7) 870 1310, (53 7)  878 6486, correo electrónico:
Museo de la Ruta del EsclavoCastillo de San Severino, Zona  Industrial,  Ciudad de Matanzas. Teléfono: (53 045) 28 3259, correo electrónico:
Museo Municipal de GuanabacoaCalle Martí no. 108 esquina a Versalles, Guanabacoa, Ciudad de La Habana. Teléfonos: (53 7) 97 9117, (53 7) 97 2073, correo electrónico: musgbcoa@cubarte.cultcu
Museo Municipal de GüinesAve 77 no. 1005 entre 100 y 112, Güines, La Habana. Teléfono: 047 522437, correo electrónico:
Museo Municipal de ReglaCalle Martí no. 158 entre Eduardo Faccioso y Lapiedra, Regla, Ciudad de La Habana. Teléfonos: (53 7) 94 5920, 97 6989, correo electrónico:
Universidad Central de Las Villas (Vicerrectorado Académico)Carretera de Camajuaní, Km. 5 ½ Santa Clara, Villa Clara 54830 Teléfono: (53 042) 281416, Fax: (53 042) 81608, coreo electrónico:

These institutions have obtained various results that are linked to the Regional Network of Research Institutions on African American Religions, festivals, scientific events, teachers and publications.

2- Places of Interest to Visit

Yoruba Cultural Association of Cuba:
Prado # 615, between Montes and Dragones, Municipality of Old Havana.
Tel. 63-5953 / 63-7660 / 63-7415
Fax- 63-7484

Africa House:
It is not only possible to be ecstatic with contemporary works of art representative of 38 countries of Sub-Saharan Africa, but also with personal objects, crafts, rites, music of those places, given the ethnographic character of the museum.

The house of Africa also includes among its funds the important Afro-Cuban collection of Don Fernando Ortíz and the historic African collection of Cuban President Fidel Castro. There are also valuable original pieces related to the period of slavery on our Island, such as shackles, stocks, etc.

This center investigates the ethnic cultural themes of those countries that are represented through its collections and especially those that influenced Cuban culture in a remarkable way. There, a library specialized in religions of Sub-Saharan Africa provides services.

There are also temporary exhibition rooms with the work of Cuban artists, whose work is related to the theme of this institution.

Work # 157 between Mercaderes and San Ignacio, Old Havana.
From Tuesday to Saturday, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm / Sundays: from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm.

At night, arranged with tourist agencies, guided tours and shows are organized.

Prices: USD 2.00 (foreigners) / MN 2.00 (national) / Use of cameras: additional USD 2.00 / Night activities: USD 5.00
Telephone: 61-5798

Rule Museum:
The Municipal Museum of Regla is located two blocks from the pier or jetty, where the visitor can reach by boat, after a picturesque trip across the bay from the Luz pier in Old Havana.

Inaugurated on December 29, 1982, it is projected as a representative museum of the community in a municipality that currently comprises the ancient towns of Regla and Casablanca. In his career he has incorporated new spaces and facilities; It has a main building and two adjoining rooms and has under its administration the Lenin Hill Monument Complex.

The one of Regla has been a story on the shore of the port, and this has influenced in such a way that the links with processes and fundamental facts of Havana and the country abound. The Museum’s four history rooms illustrate the origin of the Virgen de Regla Sanctuary and the evolution of the town between the 17th and 18th centuries, the economic activity in the Havana port during the 19th century and the contribution of European, African immigrants and Asians, the visits of José Martí and the participation of reglanos in the war of independence of 1895, the fight against the dictatorship of Fulgencio Batista (1952-1958) and the triumph of the Cuban Revolution.

In its main building the Museo de Regla organizes several temporary exhibitions during the year, to put the public in contact with the collections of plastic arts, whose most valuable collections are painting and engraving. At present she has for her exhibition an important set of the works of the Cuban painters Emilio Rivero Merlin (1890-1977), José Hurtado de Mendoza (1885-1971) and Antonio Canet Henández (1942).

Regla also treasures a significant heritage of the art of engraving, from the perspectives of the Bay of Havana, executed by colonial engravers, to the production of contemporary artists, including the founder of the Association of Engravers of Cuba, the master Carmelo González (White House, 1920-Havana 1990).

Dir. Calle Martí No. 158 e / Eduardo Facciolo and La Piedra. Rule. Havana city
Tel. 976989
Hours: Tuesday to Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. / Sunday 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Guided visits from Tuesday to Saturday and documentation and information services Monday to Saturday from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm.

House of San Lázaro:
The Hata. Guanabacoa Municipality. Havana city.

Guanabacoa Museum:
Located in the Historic Center of Villa de la Asunción on Calle Martí, No. 108, between Versailles and San Antonio, Guanabacoa municipality of Havana City you will find an important ethnological collection.

House of High Studies Don Fernando Ortiz:
Calle L corner a 27El Vedado Havana, Cuba Tel: (53 7) 326841 e. Mail:

Santeria Palace:
House-Temple of Fredesvinda Rosel Rosel, in Madruga (about 60 kilometers southwest of the Cuban capital), with the collection of Rigoberto Rodríguez, her husband, the greatest santero that Madruga had, who was born in that town on February 20, 1910, and began in Santeria in 1937, under the consecration of the Blessed Virgin of Charity of El Cobre (Ochún). She died on March 1, 1975.

National Museum of Music:
Don Fernando Ortiz Room

Slave Route Museum. UNESO Program in Matanzas.
Marti walk. Hernes Telman School Road end. Versailles, Matanzas. See reference in space Matanzas of the present site.

Oscar Maria de Rojas Museum.
Cárdenas Municipality.
Ethnology room.

3- The Dionysia

AIN special exclusively for CUBATRAVEL
Dense jungles and thinned fields a couple of centuries ago surround the stay of the old coffee plantation of La Dionisia, to the east of the cliffs that flank the Canímar river, on the north coast of the Cuban province of Matanzas, a hundred kilometers from the Havana city.

Deep inside that territory was the great coffee farm of “mesie” Rubielle, and other farms producing the grain, owned by French settlers who came to Cuba with their families and slaves after the Haitian revolution, between the end of the eighteenth century and the next.
Today the Cafetal La Dionisia is integrated into the Slave Route named by UNESCO, together with the Triunvirato sugar mill and the Castle of San Severino.
They would have bought land at low prices, according to the high degree of isolation that the Canímar imposed on the land on that eastern shore, when crossing the wide and deep river could only be done in a bongo, a small flat-bottomed boat with limited capacity of load.
But “mesie” Francois Rubielle and other coffee colonists did not need the bongo or any other facility to extract their beans to the western cities and ports. In fact, their shipments to New Orleans were made from a secret point on the river, on merchant schooners that went directly to the southern United States.
This smuggling trade, however, led the Spanish colonial government to raise, at the Canímar’s mouth, the artillery gun that still exists today.
It is known that at that time large shipments of coffee and sugar from other French and North American growers came out on that waterway, leading their shipments to the Guamacaro valley, located inland.
When the North American families began to arrive from New England, the “mesie” of La Dionisia and his family got their taranta and left forever, leaving their coffee plantation, facilities and the large family house, which have been preserved until today.
Lost in those cleared forests, the house stands almost fifty meters deep and French tiles, brought by those years of Marseille tiles by Martin Frere and Pierre Sacomán. Its doors transpire the strong smell of the hard wood of the river forests, and nearby the walls of the coffee warehouse, the slave barracks and even the “mating pavilions” are drawn with stones ruined by time. He directed the forced crossing of the strongest Africans and the most tall women. It is intact, perhaps as Rubielle left it, the Ferris wheel and its mechanism, also made of hard wood, in a well 52 depths and three widths, which extracted the water in boxes, along with eels, shrimps and blind guabinas , to wash the coffee and to clean the family and the crew of 100 black captives. Source:, December 20, 2008

Total Page Visits: 383 - Today Page Visits: 1